Sunday, April 17, 2016

Chicken Caprese, South Bay ShawHoette and a Little Buddy fix........

How are all of you?  Hanging in there I hope and enjoying warmer weather if you are experiencing Spring and cooler temps if you are heading Autumn's way.  The weather here has been perfect, perfect enough that I sat outside today and finished my South Bay Shawlette.  Do you want to have a little  peek?


This is the simplest pattern, no wonder all of you have been making tons of them for years.  I am kicking myself for not making this sooner.


The finished measurements of this shawlette are 58 in x 29 in.  It expanded a good six inches in both directions after a good steam blocking.  You know me there is no way I am pinning this baby out, if I can't steam it I don't want to make it.

Made with Aspen Yarn, Baah, in the color Byzantine Gold.  I used about 1 and 2/3 hanks of this yarn, I am estimating about 550 yards to make this shawlette, I have a wee bit left over to add to something else.  I used a size H hook and whipped this out in nine days.  It was just so simple, it is a brilliant pattern.  This yarn was a dream to work with, a combination of merino, silk and cashmere, I am in love with it.   I would definitely play with this yarn again given the chance.


  My friend Lynne at Pieceful has joined me making another South Bay, she told me she was thinking of making another one so I asked her to join me.  Lynne's is being made with hand dyed ombre yarn from Two Black Sheep, I can't wait to see it finished.  Lynne is the kindest person, she makes spectacular quilts and knits gorgeous projects, go over and see her and see what gorgeous thing she is making now.


Next I have to give a shout out to Jo of Through the Keyhole.  She posted this yummy chicken recipe a few weeks ago and I thought I would try it.  It is from The Low Carb Diabetic.  You can find the link to the recipe on Jo's blog or The Low Carb Diabetic, above.  I really liked this yummy recipe, but just might add some garlic and other herbs before I make it again.  I know I overcooked mine, and it still tasted great.  I have a big fear of under cooked chicken, especially as I am not a cook so I am not all that confident in my abilities to cook things right.


Thank you Jo for you recipe inspiration.  Jo is just so lovely and so creative, pop in and give her a shout out for me.


Besides sitting on my behind listening to another Sue Grafton novel and crocheting this weekend, I warped my loom for my next project.  This is my Ashford 32 in. Knitter's Loom and I am thrilled to be using it again.  I am making another shawl for myself that I probably won't wear, but I will make it just the same.  The golden Baah yarn above and the yarn on my loom are both from the 50% off, going out of business sale I went to a few weeks back.  See I am putting my purchases to good use already and I am thrilled I got these yarns at bargain prices.


Thank you for all your well wishes for Little Buddy.  He went back to the doctor on Thursday, I was still thinking he had an ear infection, but nope just a cold.  His nose is still crummy and he has a bit of a cough.  He is also extra sensitive, crying during nap time, asking me repeatedly to, "stay awake at night in the dark."  I assure him he is okay, nice and safe.  I also put a nightlight outside his room and a dimmer night light in his room, but he does not seem to like that one at all.  He wakes up crying, and crying, it breaks my heart.  I think of this more as two year old behavior, not four and a half.  But he is delayed so maybe that part of his development is also delayed.


We went to the park yesterday and spent some time on the swings and went down the slide together.  You can give yourself a big laugh if you picture me with my long legs trying to maneuver both of us into the tiny space at the top of the twirly slide.  We did make it down and Little One giggled all the way, I felt like a bit of a contortionist to be honest.


We met a lovely young man named Matt who came over to show Little Buddy his leg brace.  He wanted Little Buddy to know that lots of different people wear leg braces.  He is 27 and when he was 15 had a big accident while playing soccer.  He ended up having a knee replacement and during the operation had complications to his nerves so his foot drops.  He said it was tough going when he was 15, but now he does not think a thing about it.  Maturity will do that to you, he was just darling and I thanked him profusely for sharing his story.

Little Buddy sat up on our, "picnic towel" as he likes to call it and ate his lunch outside today.  He sat up in this position for close to 30 minutes, eating, talking and maintaining his balance.  I have never seen him do this before, he usually topples over after a good five minutes.  He is growing up isn't he?  Forget lunch, I could just eat him up!

Hope you all have a good week, 

33 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

Your SouthBay turned out gorgeous. It would look really nice in the fall. Good job! I really admire your warping.. that whole process made me slightly crazy. I warped up a loom and we went on vacation, my mom stayed here taking care of a litter of kittens and the other animals. We got home and all the warping had been pulled out and a big mess.. mom let the kittens play on the loom and thought it was funny. ::rolling eyes:: I'm glad LB doesn't have an ear infection.. those are so painful! And bravo to him for his balancing! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Judy S. said...

Looks like LB is on the mend? Hope so. We can sure relate as we were down and out during most of our time in FLA. Love your newest shawl! I need to check out that pattern. Thanks.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

He is growing up! What a sweetie he is. His smiles are magic! Love that first little shawl, so pretty. You are so talented my friend. Happy week ahead I hope.
hugs,
Linda

Karen said...

It's nice to see LB smiling again:) Oh, your shawl is just gorgeous! and I can't wait to see the project on the loom when it's finished. I have done the contortionist routine on slides, too, as my legs are so long! It's worth it though, don't you think.

Caffeine Girl said...

Speaking of the mother of a child (now sort of an adult) with a disability, there is no doubt that emotional growth is affected, even by physical disabilities. Some just need more time to ripen! He is just so adorable. I hope his night-time fears fade as his health returns.

The shawl is amazing! Not that long ago, I must confess, I looked down my nose at crochet. No more! There are so many awesome projects. I tried to teach myself to crochet over winter break, and totally failed. It is harder than people say!

Anonymous said...

Oh those SMILES! I could hug Matt --- what a nice young man to give Little Buddy a bit of support. Although --- I will be LB grows up to be a very confident young man. He has a great family!!!

Thank you for the link to that diabetes blog. I took a look around and it looks VERY helpful.

Then there is your shawl --- simply BEAUTIFUL! Congrats on another fine finish.

Give MR. L. B. a big hug from me. Hope he is feeling all better real soon.

Any word on your other son coming to UCF?

Blondie's Journal said...

I absolutely love the shawl you made, Mere. I could see wearing it on a night here that gets cool but not enough for a sweater or cardigan. Glad you found it easier than you thought.
]
Your recipes are awesome and I'm going to have a look at these blogs. I'm always trying to cut our carbs and the Caprese dish looks so refreshing for summer.

My Emily had a real fear of the dark when she was young. We had a book that had something to do with the 'imagined' night critters in closets and under the bed. This may not be the issue with Little Buddy but another few things we did was to put glow in the dark stars on her ceiling, a radio with soft music and a promise to come in every 15 minutes to check on her. She was usually asleep the first time around.

I love Sue Grafton. Does she have a new one out? What will we do when she reaches Z???! ;-D

Thanks for the visits. I'm trying so hard to catch up but our warm temps having me doing yard clean up. And that's never-ending! Ha ha!

Jane

Grandmabeckyl.blogspot said...

Your latest shawl is lovely. Oh what a kind man to share his story with you and Buddy. Maybe that's why Buddy was able to sit up without wobbling!! Who knows? Happy week my friend!! :-}

Betsy said...

Your shawl is gorgeous Meredith. I love the color and the pattern is so pretty. You are an amazing crocheted. Do you wear all of the shawls you make? That chicken dish looks delicious too. I'm afraid I usually over cook chicken too unless I use aa meat thermometer. Pork too. I'm always afraid of undercooking and everybody getting sick from my cooking. :-)

Little Buddy is SO CUTE. I'm sorry he's still not well but very glad to hear it's not an ear infection. Great job on sitting up so well! Progress to be sure and that young man taking the time to talk to you gives me hope in people. All you seem to hear is bad things. I'm so glad to hear this story. By the way, Piper would love that shirt. She loves Thomas the Train and all of his friends. Remember us taking Percy on a cross country plane trip to see her?
Have a wonderful week dear Meredith. We missed you this weekend.
Blessings always,
Betsy

mamasmercantile said...

I really must check out that pattern, it looks amazing and the colour is perfect. I did smile about you going down the slide, I do that with my Grandchildren they love it. His smile is infectious, I am smiling at the screen. Take care.

Jo said...

Oh, bless Little Buddy, he still looks such a happy little chap though even when he's under the weather, I do hope his cold clears up soon, and how lovely of that man to share his story with you. Thank you for the lovely things you said about me, I'm almost blushing. I'm so glad you gave the chicken caprese a go, I think the slices of tomato are a great combination with the cheese and chicken. I wish I could add more tomato to the recipe like you have but it takes me all my powers of persuasion to get my lot to eat a couple of slices. I'm the same as you are with chicken, I like to make sure that it's well cooked, that's why I half cooked it before adding the cheese and tomato, just to make sure it was properly cooked though, well you can't be too careful, can you. Your shawlette is really beautiful and I love the yarn you've used too, it looks so snuggly and I'm sure it will feel like you're being wrapped in a hug when you wear it.

Ingrid K. said...

Hi Mere,

Thanks for a much needed dose of LB! ;)) I'm glad to hear he is getting better. He looks super-cute on his blanket!!!

And well done for such a beautiful SBS!!! I'm glad you finally tried this pattern, as you know I made quite a number of them! Such a versatile pattern!

Good luck with your weaving, I know you make such beautiful shawls! Looking forward to seeing it once you got started.

Have a lovely week!
Ingrid xx
Myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

Araignee said...

That shawl is beautiful! I do so love a good crocheted shawl. They have more body than the knitted versions and imho drape so much better.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Goodness, that big ol' smile would cheer anyone up. Looks like he is enjoying lunch on the picnic towel. How very kind of Matt to chat with you two. I may try to make a shawl soon (maybe not that lovely pattern but one I've made before and know I can manage). Don't think I have any yarn around here that will work for it though so that means I'll have to go buy some. Gosh darn it! :) Have a good week.

linda said...

I love your shawl Meredith the colour is gorgeous, thank you for the chicken recipe link it looks nice and easy I must give it a try. Little Buddy is the best bless him and how lovely of that young man to come over and share his story. I hope his cold is better soon. Have a great week. :) xx

kathy b said...

That's 500 yards of glory!
So glad Lil B is better. You know we had to put Misha our sheltie in Al's room at night when she went through the same thing. WE tied her leash to al's bed. It was good for both of them and immediatlely she slept better.

Andrea Ostapovitch said...

What a little sweetheart he is! He smile sends a warm feeling right through me.
Our entire household has been sick for a week. Boy, has it been a rough one, but I think the end is near and we can get on with enjoying our Spring, as the weather has been getting quite enjoyable.
I hope Little Buddy is feeling much better soon. You know, even my 13 year old daughter asked me this week to stay with her until she fell asleep. Being sick is a scary thing.

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

Little cute Buddy he looks a little better than last time & it was so lovely of that man to talk to you about his experience. The colour of the yarn you used for your shawl is glorious. Very buttery! xx

Lynne said...

Wow such a full post! First off your shawl turn out beautiful, that color is gorgeous. I'm a few rows from the finish line :) Glad the little man is doing better, getting outside to play and soak up the sunshine.
I remember ripping through all those Sue Grafton novels, every one of them was good. I have those same chairs and the longer version of your table(Pottery Barn?)
Looking forward to seeing your latest loom shawl. Thanks for the mention and link. Have a great week!

CJ said...

Fantastic that Little Buddy sat up for so long, his development is going well I think. Sorry that he's had a cold and been clingy at night, I hope it all passes soon. We've all had colds here, and we're waiting for some spring warmth at the moment, it's still really chilly. Love your shawl, and nice to see the loom in action. I knew the half price yarn would be put to good use. Wishing you a good week. CJ xx

Jennifer Hays said...

I hope Little Buddy is feeling all better very soon. I think it's wonderful that Matt took the time to talk with him and show his brace. I think Little Buddy will remember him as he grows up. Your shawlette is so pretty. I really love that gold color. It can be dressy or casual, depending on what you wear it with. The chicken looks very tasty. I'm the same as you, very nervous about undercooked meat, especially chicken. My husband bought me a Thermapen and that has eased my mind a lot. They're expensive, but very handy for meat. I hope you're having a good week so far, Meredith. Thank you for the hand cream suggestion you left on my blog. I will definitely check out her cream.

Gracie Saylor said...

It is very exciting that Little Buddy was able to balance so well, and so encouraging that Matt spoke hope into his life! It will be great if playing in the sunshine helps dry up the end of his cold, and maybe he will sleep more peacefully. You and your family are loving him well.

Your stitching and warping are so lovely, Meredith, and the recipe looks delicious! Wishing you happy healthy times as you slide through your days this week :) xx

Amber said...

The shawl is gorgeous! And that chicken dish? Oh my, that looks yummy. How thoughtful of that young man to come talk to your son. I'm sure that was a blessing to your mother's heart.

Nance said...

Your son is beautiful in his Joy.

Jo said...

I love your shawl - nine days - you ninja! Isn't it great that he can sit up, a whole world of playing opens up when he can do this. Well Done! Jo x

Kris said...

Your shawl I lovely! I need to make one too.
Little Buddy is so cute! He just makes my heart happy.
Been hot here. Like summer. Not ready for that!!
XO Kris

Unknown said...

Your shawl is lovely but little Buddy steals this post for me. I am really sorry to hear he has been poorly and is feeling upset when sleeping bless his heart he is such a gorgeous little boy. Bless that man for speaking and sharing his story with him to. Great to hear he as been improving with his sitting skills to :-) Best wishes, dee :-)

Danette Bartelmay said...

I can't believe how much Little Buddy is growing up! He gets cuter and cuter all the time. I'm so happy he was able to sit on his picnic towel for that long!!!
You have inspired me... I am currently working on a South Bay Shawlette and LOVING it. It's so simple and beautiful!!!

Joyful said...

Meredith you continue to amaze me with your prolific ability to create new things. This shawl is as lovely as the others and I can't wait to see your new loom work. I'm sorry to hear little Buddy was sick with a cold. I know how it sucks. I just hope he feels better soonest. I also love the new dish you were inspired to make. It is so beautiful in colour and appeal. xx

Jodiebodie said...

Wow Meredith - that news about Little Buddy sitting up for so long is heartening. Well done! How lovely that you met such a kind young man - children sometimes don't take as much notice of their parents' advice until they hear it coming from someone else and if it is a peer or someone closer in age than the parents, they seem to take it in even more. I found it common for my children be more unsettled whenever there was a growth spurt or new stage of development. Do you think the need for extra reassurance at night is the flipside of the increasing physical development?

Now that you have made a beautiful South Bay Shawlette (love the colour), I am wondering if that is something that I will say "Why didn't I do one sooner?" too! Lovely work Meredith.

Hugs, Jodie xx

Anita said...

Your shawl turned out so lovely and it looks very complicated. Some patterns are a bit like that aren't they? lol Not as hard as they look but heaps nice when they're finished. I can see why you would be planning to make it again. Love the recipe, yum yum. Little Buddy is a trooper isn't he? A trip to the park helps everything.I hope your cold leaves you soon Buddy.
Cheers, Anita.

Melanie said...

Hi Mere, I finally added your blog to my blog roll on my side bar so I now will remember to visit you on a regular basis! Your shawl is just beautiful. You are so talented. I hope your little guy is feeling better by now. He sure is a cutie!

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

The south bay shawl is gorgeous, but LB is GORGEOUSER!!! My boy was the same though, terrible with sleep, much more 2 yr old behaviour even when he was 4, just part of their developmental differences I guess. They are both scrummy though (even though mine is nearly 13 now - YIKES!!
Jillxo